Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Prairie Wind...


...blew with fury today, and helped get rid of the the last stubborn snow, a snow that probably still thought I would make yet another "last" ski run before finally garaging my ski's.
I remember Christmas of last year when me and my best buddy Valerie went for a walk on the frozen lake. The wind was furious, it was 20 below (F). Valerie happens to have some Sami blood running in her veins, so she was doing just fine, I on the other hand, having grown up just south of the Arctic Circle had a harder time.

This picture of Valerie, standing on the frozen ice in a western county in Minnesota, Christmas 2007, will be my farewell to winter. Goodbye, rest well until we meet again, and welcome spring, I can feel you all the way from top to bottom, I have missed you and for a few moments I was wondering if I would ever see you again...would I return to you and you to me? Today you blew back into our lands again with resolution indeed - dependable, reliable and ever refreshing.

A light exists in spring
Not present on the year
At any other period.
When March is scarcely here

A color stands abroad
On solitary hills
That science cannot overtake,
But human naturefeels.

Emily Dickinson

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hey you! I was wondering when I was going to see your blog! Love that picture of Valerie!